Functional Skills qualification in ICT at Level 2 at King Edward VI Community College
Functional Skills Information and Communication Technology (ICT) qualifications are designed to give learners the skills to operate confidently, effectively and independently in education, work and everyday life. They have been created for learners to demonstrate to employers that they have a firm grounding in the basic skills.
The aims of these qualifications are to develop learner understanding and skills in:
- using ICT
- finding and selecting information
- developing, presenting and communicating information.
Specifically they will cover skills in finding information on the Internet, using a spreadsheet to process data and create graphs, prepare a document or presentation with information from their research and spreadsheet and use email to communicate this with others. You will be assessed through a single two hour practical on-screen test
By completing this qualification, you will develop the sound basic skills you need to work productively in a wide range of environments that require the accurate use of common IT software applications. You can expect to develop skills including:
- search techniques and saving information that you find
- using word processing, desk top publishing or presentation software to prepare documents or presentations suitable for a specific purpose and audience
- using formulas to calculate information from data and formatting this appropriately
- sorting and filtering data to a particular purpose
- creating graphs and charts from data and improving the appearance of these
- how to use email effectively and appropriately
There are no specific entry requirements for this qualification
Students will learn through practical activities designed to cover the range of basic skills necessary to pass the test. There will also be practice tests so students can identify whether they are ready to take the actual test.
By completing this qualification you will be demonstrating that you have the sound basic IT skills to competently carry out a clerical job role with a range of employers. You may also progress to further learning at level 3, studying similar IT qualifications.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact King Edward VI Community College directly.