Spanish (Modern Foreign Languages) A Level (Linear) at Poynton High School
A language A level helps students develop confident, effective communication skills and a thorough understanding of the culture of countries where the target language is spoken. The course develops an interest in, and enthusiasm for, language learning and encourages students to consider the language in a broader context.
The specification requires students to develop their ability to write and speak in their chosen language with accurate grammar and syntax for a range of purposes and to understand written or spoken language in a variety of contexts (listed below) and genres. In the second year students will also explore further topics and conduct independent research into a topic of their choice to be discussed in the Speaking examination.
Students will also be expected to study a piece of literature or a film in both years of study.
Individual study, whole class work, pair work and group work will allow you to build confidence in applying the vocabulary and grammar to express your ideas in speech and writing on a range of issues. You will need to come to terms with learning, analysing and using a wide range of vocabulary as well as learning and applying the rules of grammar. There is a greater emphasis on translation skills in both years. You will have the opportunity to participate in our exchanges and study trips to Berlin, Paris or Madrid.
These are only a selection and will vary between languages and examination boards:
- changes in modern society/ The changing nature of family.
- artistic culture
- modern world issues
- law and order
- a historical aspect of the target language country
- 5 grade Cs or above at GCSE level, including a C or above in the language(s) to be taken
There are slight differences between the examination boards and details will be updated when available. Here is an idea of the structure of the examinations:
- Paper 1 Listening, reading, translation into English 40% of the final grade
- Paper 2 Translation into Target Language, essay 30% of the final grade
- Speaking Discussion of two themes 30% of the final grade
- Paper 1 Listening, reading, translation both ways 40% of the final grade
- Paper 2 Two essays in Target Language 30% of the final grade
- Speaking Discussion + presentation/discussion of research 30% of the final grade
Examples of films and literary texts
- Lorca – la Casa de BernadaAlba
- Sender – Requiem por un campesino español
- Esquivel – Como agua para Chocolate
- el laberinto des fauno
- les trece rosas
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Poynton High School directly.
Last updated date: 20 September 2016