Biology A Level at Samuel Whitbread Academy
This specification is designed to encourage candidates to develop:
• An enthusiasm for biology
• Practical skills alongside understanding of concepts and principles
• An appropriate and relevant foundation of knowledge and skills for the study of biology in Higher Education.
This specification stimulates the enthusiasm of teachers and students from the start. As a stepping stone to future study, it allows students to develop the skills universities want to see. The course intends to nurture a passion for Biology & lay the groundwork for further study in courses like biological sciences and medicine.
Year 1 Units
• Biological molecules
• Organisms exchange substances with their environment
• Genetic information, variation and relationships between organisms
Year 2 Units
• Energy transfers in and between organisms
• Organisms respond to changes in their internal and external environments
• Genetics, populations, evolution and ecosystems
• The control of gene expression
• APS 5.3
• Grade 6 in GCSE sciences. If more than one science is studied at GCSE, two must be at grade 6 (one must be Biology).
• Grade 5 in GCSE Maths
• Pass the entry exam.
• 100% external examination
Students who have studied A level Biology may go on to study a wide variety of different subjects at university. These include medicine, dentistry, physiotherapy, nursing, genetics, forensics, ecology, veterinary science, agriculture, sports science, psychology, horticulture and conservation.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Samuel Whitbread Academy directly.