Communication & Culture AS Level at St Vincent College
The way we communicate with others affects not only our view of the world around us but also our own self concept. This course therefore explores the role of culture and a range of cultural activities in creating and negotiating identity. Who we are, how we see others and where we fit into society. These are the questions we seek to answer.
Unit 1 – Understanding Communication and Culture will cover:
- The nature of culture
- Definitions of culture
- The meanings and practices of everyday life
- High culture and popular culture
- The relationship between culture and value
- Verbal and non-verbal communication
- Identity and self-presentation
- Group communication
- Reading images and products
Unit 2 – The Individual and Contemporary Culture will cover:
- A piece of independent research work
- Communication, culture and the individual
- Cultural contexts and practices
Five GCSEs at grade A*-C, which MUST English Language. You will not have studied this subject at school.
This course is assessed by a mixture of external exam and externally moderated coursework
A trip is organised to London
- Higher Education for degree/ HND courses in cultural studies, media, business, management, communication
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact St Vincent College directly.