Media Studies at The Burgate School and Sixth Fom centre
Media is often defined in relation to the study of discrete media forms (television, film, advertising, radio, magazines etc) and this is reflected in the diversity of units on offer at the Burgate School and Sixth Form centre.
However, students are also encouraged to reflect upon the nature and purpose of the key concepts of audience, institution, representation and genre.
In addition to this we strive to position the study of media texts in the context of cultural history, exploring the social dimensions of technological change.
The AS Level course has two discrete components:
- Foundation Productions, which requires students to engage in making the opening sequence of a thriller film, from audience research and story-boarding to filming, editing and evaluation
- Key Media Concepts, which focuses on the two elements of television drama and the magazine industry.
The first of these will involve using technical terminology to analyse a four minute extract from a contemporary British television drama, and the second will be based on a case study of the heavy metal magazine ‘Kerrang’.
Each unit is worth 50% of the overall AS Level grade.
The A2 Level course also consists of two units:
- The Advanced Portfolio, which will require you to produce a popular music video, accompanied by a magazine advertisement and digi-pack cover art
- Critical Perspectives in Media, which will require you to evaluate your own media production and answer a case study based question on your choice of postmodern media text.
- At least six A*- C grades at GCSE, including Grade B in English Language.
This course is a good foundation for further studies and/ or employment in Media, Film and TV as well as Multi-media Journalism, Advertising and Computer Animation.
Possible degree courses include Media, Film and Cultural Studies, as well as specific vocational practical courses focusing on production work
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact The Burgate School and Sixth Fom centre directly.