English Literature A Level at Hereford Sixth Form College
Are you passionate about reading? Do you love to look closely at texts, analysing exactly what ideas are being explored and how the language works? Do you enjoy debating ideas and then organising your thoughts into a strong, clear argument? If so, then A Level English Literature is the course for you.
You will study a wide range of modern and historical texts – novels, poetry and drama including works by Shakespeare.
As well as extending your knowledge of literature, you will develop skills of thinking critically, reading and analysing texts closely and preparing arguments.
The course is made up of four components:
- Drama - to include a Shakespeare play and one other playtext.
- Prose - comparison of two novels (one written pre-1900) linked by a common theme.
- Poetry - one collection of modern poetry and one other poetry collection.
- Independent coursework - 2500-3000 words on your choice of two texts, linked by theme, movement, author or period.
As a minimum you usually need:
- Grade 5 or B in GCSE English (although some students with a higher tier grade 4 or C may be accepted).
You will also:
- Have the ability to work independently, read widely and write extended essays.
- Enjoy reading a range of literary genres and be willing to explore unfamiliar texts and authors.
- Have a critical approach to what you read.
This course is the ideal foundation for a degree in English literature. It is also very useful if you are considering degrees in education, law, media studies, history, drama, creative writing or any of the social sciences.
Employers value English literature as it shows you have the skills to synthesise information, explore different points of view and express yourself clearly and cogently.
Students are expected to buy their own copies of the set texts. There will be a maximum of four books in the first year and six books in the second year costing around £8 each.
The Library has an extensive collection of books to support your wider reading.
There will be the opportunity to participate in study trips, theatre visits and workshops.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Hereford Sixth Form College directly.