Food Science and Nutrition Diploma at Stanground Academy
This course will be of interest to anyone who is interested in receiving a wealth of knowledge about the food and nutrition industry. You will have the opportunity to learn about the relationship between the human body and food as well as practical skills for cooking and preparing food. You will be able to consider employment in a range of different industries including the food and drink sectors of hospitality, catering, food production and food retail.
The WJEC Level 3 Certificate in Food Science and Nutrition is an Applied Qualification. This means that each unit within the qualification has an applied purpose which acts as a focus for the learning in the unit. The applied purpose demands learning related to authentic case studies. It also requires learners to consider how the use and application of their learning impacts on themselves, other individuals, employers, society and the environment. The applied purpose will also allow learners to learn in such a way that they develop:
• skills required for independent learning and development
• a range of generic and transferable skills
• the ability to solve problems
• the skills of project based research, development and presentation
• the fundamental ability to work alongside other professionals, in a professional environment
• the ability to apply learning in vocational contexts
The WJEC Level 3 Certificate in Food Science and Nutrition are vocationally relevant to the food production industry.
5 A*- C at GCSE including grade 5 or above in English
Four assessment objectives
1. Meeting the Nutritional Needs of Specific Groups - Internal and External – Mandatory
2. Ensuring Food is Safe to Eat – External – Mandatory
3. Experimenting to Solve Food Production – Internal – Optional
4. Current Issues in Food Science and Nutrition – External – Optional
All learners must take Units One and Two and then select either Unit Three or Unit Four.
Together with relevant Level 3 qualifications such as A levels in Biology, Chemistry, Sociology and Maths and/or Level 3 qualifications in Hospitality or Science, learners will gain the required knowledge to progress to higher education degree courses, such as:
• BSc Food and Nutrition
• BSc Human Nutrition
• BSc (Hons) Public Health Nutrition
• BSc (Hons) Food Science and Technology
This subject goes well with design and technology, food technology, biology and physical education as well as vocational qualifications.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Stanground Academy directly.