Legal Secretaries CILEx Level 3 Diploma at Epping Forest College
This course would be suitable for students wishing to pursue a career as PA/secretary or administrator.You will study all IT applications to an intermediate level as well as office administration and business communication skills and learn how to apply these skills in different types of offices, including the legal services.
You will study units including:
- specific projects and research including team building exercises and training to be involved in the decision making processes
- advanced legal text production (including proof-reading and audio transcription).
- business skills in the legal environment
- working in an office, advanced skills that you will need to function in an office environment
- managing information
- using spreadsheets, databases and presentation software
- document layout including business letters, memos, templates and legal document layout
Throughout the year, you will go on visits to Snaresbrook Crown Court, the Old Bailey, Royal Courts of Justice, Houses of Parliament and Supreme Court.
- Criminal law
- Civil law
- Probate law
- Corporate law
- Conveyancing law
- Business skills in a legal environment
- Advanced proof reading skills
- Advanced legal word processing
- Advanced digital audio transcription
- Book keeping and accounts to trial balance
As part of your study programme you undertake masterclasses in English and Maths. If you haven’t already got a grade C in English and Maths, you will work towards this grade alongside your course.
All students will have the opportunity to undertake one week’s work experience in a City/local law firm.
5 GCSEs at A*–C including English Language and Maths. Alternatively, CILEx Level 2 Secretarial course at Merit and GCSE English Language at C or equivalent related qualifications.
Mix of exams, assignments and in-class assessments. There will also be internal assessment days with professional legal firms.
The course workbook is included in your course fees but you will need to purchase your own stationery, e.g. course folders, pens, pencils,notebook, ruler, calculator, USB and English dictionary and legal dictionary.
There are lots of different options to continue your studies after level 3 qualifications. These include specialised vocational degrees , Honours Degrees (usually 3 year courses, although they may include a sandwich year on work placement).
It is very important to find out about all of your options after you have completed your course. Some careers will require specific qualifications and training for you to work in the sector, whereas other jobs and careers do not have a set training route.
You may also choose to apply for an Advanced Apprenticeship (Level 3) or Higher Apprenticeships (Level 4/Foundation Degree). Information about apprenticeships can be found at the National Apprenticeship website - you can search and apply for apprenticeships there. You then complete ONE application form, which you can use to apply for any Apprenticeship. The entry requirements vary a lot, depending on the employer, the college and the Apprenticeship.Notgoingtouni has information about Higher Apprenticeships as well as vacancies.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Epping Forest College directly.