Health and Social Care Applied A level (Single Award) at Helsby High School
Why should I choose Health and Social Care?
- A combination of portfolio and examination units leading to an excellent pass rate.
- Practical experience in a range of health, social care or early years settings.
- Development of skills in a work related context - communication, team work, research, problem-solving and caring.
- Participation in activities which can help when completing UCAS personal statements.
This is a vocational course which provides a broad understanding of the health, social care and early years services. The single award is made up of 3 units. There are elements of Sociology, Psychology and Biology within the course. Students will apply their knowledge in a realistic and practical way, including case studies, small research projects, a health promotion campaign and one week work experience in a care setting. Students use their experience to develop their communication skills and gather information for their coursework units. By following this course, students will gain knowledge and experience of:
- A range of job roles and opportunities in health, social care and early years services
- Communication Skills
- Health Promotion
- Research methods in health and social care
- The impact of discrimination on vulnerable people
- Anatomy and physiology (functions of body systems, dysfunctions, diagnosis and treatments)
Sixth form entry requirements (A pass at grade C in English and at least one Sci-ence is recommended).
A combination of examined units and portfolio units.
This course can lead to progression into higher education courses such as:
BSc in Health and Social Care
BA in Education (Primary)
BA in Sociology or Psychology
Degrees in Nursing/Midwifery/Social Care/Occupational Therapy
Some students have used their A levels to go straight into employment and training in Elderly Care, Paramedic Training, RNIB and Early Years Care
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Helsby High School directly.