Sport (Performance and Excellence) Level 3 at Grŵp Llandrillo Menai
Are you a keen sports person? Are you looking to develop your performance? Would you like to gain a detailed academic knowledge of sport?
This course allows you to understand the make-up of elite sporting performance, covering areas from coaching and psychology to nutrition and injuries.
Throughout the course, you will benefit from the experience of the Grŵp's sports staff, many of whom are current practitioners in their respective fields. This will enable you to put into practice what has been learnt in the classroom. You will develop the knowledge, confidence and leadership skills to start your career, or to progress into Higher Education. You will be able to work or study in fields such as sports development, sports coaching, fitness instructing and physical education.
The programme will be delivered through a blend of the following:
- Group work
- Classroom based learning
- Tutorial support
- Educational visits
- MOODLE (virtual learning environment)
- A minimum of five GCSEs at grade C or above; or,
- Successful completion of a relevant Level 2 course at Merit or Distinction level
- You must be actively involved in sport with a strong interest in Sports
- You will be invited to attend a College interview and taster day to establish that the course is suitable for your career intentions
- You must be committed, determined and enthusiastic about the subject
- You must provide a satisfactory reference regarding attendance, attitude and potential
- All places are subject to satisfactory interview.
The programme will be assessed through a blend of the following:
- Practical and written assessments/assignments
- Presentations and demonstrations
- Portfolios of work
- Performance and observation
There may also be some external tests.
Completion of this course will provide you with various options in employment and education.
You could proceed onto a number of programmes at Grŵp Llandrillo Menai, including:
- Foundation Degree (FdSc) Sport Science (Sports Coaching), available at Rhos-on-Sea
- Foundation Degree (FdSc) Sports Science (Outdoor Recreation), available at Bangor
Alternatively, you may apply to other institutions for Degrees, Foundation Degrees and HNDs in Outdoor subjects, Sports Science, Sports Development, Geography, Nursing, Teacher Training and Computing, to name just a few.
You could also move into employment, either directly or after further study. Previous students have secured roles at sport, leisure or outdoors facilities as instructors, supervisors and managers. Others have been accepted into the Police, the Army and the Royal Marines.Career opportunities
- Exercise Physiologist
- Fitness Centre Manager
- Outdoor Activities Instructor
- Sports Coach
- Sports Development Officer
- Sports Equipment Development & Research
- Sports Therapist
- Sport & Exercise Psychologist
Programme code: 0801A03B
This programme is available bilingually at the following campus(es):
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Grŵp Llandrillo Menai directly.