Horse Management Level 3 at Craven College
You could be on your way to a career in equine husbandry, equine veterinary nursing, yard management, riding instruction, equine nutrition or equine behaviour with a Level 3 (A Level equivalent) qualification under your belt.
The Level 3 course provides a great platform to launch your career in the equine industry. The extended diploma is the equivalent of 3 A Levels and is university and industry recognised. You will build on your existing horse management skills and theoretical knowledge and get a chance to pursue your specialist subject through an investigative project.
With fabulous facilities and more in the pipeline at our Auction Mart Campus, Skipton, our British Horse Society approved yard includes an indoor arena and stabling, with full supporting equipment, show jumps, cross country jumps, fitness profiling of a horse and a weighbridge. The College also has access to a stud with competition of stallions and performance young stock, Al centre and laboratory.
With this qualification you can go straight into employment or you can specialise in equitation including teaching, science and husbandry or stud based units if you want to go on to degree level study.
Our tutors come with experience in a wide range of disciplines including dressage, show jumping, equitation, cross country, biomechanical research, veterinary physiotherapy , BHS standard setting, producing competition horses to affiliated level, working with Olympic eventers, hunters, thoroughbreds and point to pointers. As a student you will benefit from their wealth of industry links and guest speakers, involvement in The Skipton Horse Trials (including set up) and visit to Braham Horse Trials.
- Equine structure, form & function
- Equine diet & nutrition
- Managing equine disease
- Work experience in the equine sector
- Horse tack, equipment & rugs
- Equine health & husbandry
- Preparation & presentation for competition disciplines
- Equine behaviour
- Managing an equine yard
- Schooling horses on the flat
- Managing an equine event
- Theory of training horses
- Ground poles & gridwork for horses
- Showjumping & cross-country courses
- Working horses from the ground
- Introduction to equestrian coaching
- Investigative research project in the equine sector
- Horse Management Level 3 Extended Certificate
- GCSEs 9-4 (A*-C) English, maths & science
For information about Financial Support that Craven College can offer visit: http://www.craven-college.ac.uk/support/fees-and-funding
Your choices may include:
- Equine Science FD
Your choices may include:
- Equine Husbandry
- Equine Veterinary Nurse / Assistant
- Groom / Yard Staff
- Riding Trek Leader
- Riding Instructor
- Stud or Yard Assistant / Manager
- Professional Rider
- Working within the allied industries – nutrition, retail, behaviour, welfare or racing
At Craven College we want you to be successful both during your time here at College and anything you decide to do after College.
The support services within College exist to help support you to get the most out of your course:Craven College Support
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Craven College directly.