Physics A Level at UTC Reading
The aim of this Edexcel course is to instil a sound knowledge and understanding of physical principles while developing scientific problem solving skills through the application of such principles to situations that are both practical and theoretical in nature. By such means, the course seeks to develop an enthusiasm for the subject and stimulate enquiring minds in a manner that is highly complementary to both engineering and computer science, as well as naturally complementing the more classical sciences and mathematics A-levels.
The course follows a six unit structure. Three units for AS-Level and three units for A-Level.
Unit 1: Mechanics and materials
Unit 2: Waves, electricity and quantum phenomena
Unit 3: Investigative and practical skills in physics
- Unit 4: Electric and magnetic fields, further mechanics and particle physics
- Unit 5: Thermal physics, nuclear physics, simple harmonic motion and astrophysics
- Unit 6: Investigative and practical skills in physics
- Unit 1: One hour 20 minute examination accounting for 40% of AS marks and 20% of A2 marks
- Unit 2: One hour 20 minute examination accounting for 40% of AS marks and 20% of A2 marks
- Unit 3: Practical assessment accounting for 20% of AS marks and 10% of A2 marks
- Unit 4: One hour 35 minute examination accounting for 20% of A2 marks
- Unit 5: One hour 35 minute examination accounting for 20% of A2 marks
- Unit 6: Practical assessment accounting for 10% of A2 marks
Physics is highly valued by many possible university courses and can lead to a variety of different careers. These range from pure research or development work to science journalism or patent law. It can also provide a useful background and insight into some of the most exciting current scientific developments as well as demonstrating a students’ ability to grasp and manipulate complex ideas.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact UTC Reading directly.