Design & Technology (Product Design: Graphic Products) AS & A Level at Bebington High Sports College
This course develops your creative, entrepreneurial, spatial, research and presentation skills and allows you to learn new techniques in a practical environment. You will be involved in both designing and production while developing other related skills such as computer aided design (CAD) programmes, model making and photo editing.
You will study everything to do with and involved in Graphic products including the materials and industrial processes, good examples of both designs (from poster design to architecture) and designers. You will also develop CAD skills using programs such as 2D design, Google sketchup, ArchiCAD and Adobe Photoshop together with programs such as Adobe Illustrator should you need them.
AS (one year):
- You will complete 3 distinct coursework elements: A- A detailed product analysis of a graphic product, B- A detailed design assignment for a product of your choice and C- a model making assignment where you will make a detailed architectural model.
A2 (one year):
- You will be required to identify/develop/choose your own project and complete a full design folder complete with detailed model of your proposed design. This could be anything from a new perfume bottle and packaging/promotional material for Chanel through to the design of a new hotel on the Liverpool waterfront.
Students will need a C grade at GCSE and an interest in creative design OR a desire to pursue a career in one of the industries below.
- AS level – Each of the three coursework elements will be separately assessed with each worth a third of the coursework marks. This is worth half of the AS and a quarter of the whole A level. At the end of the year, you will take a written exam that is equal to the other half of the AS and again, a quarter of the whole A level.
- A2 level – Your design and make project is worth half of the A2 and a quarter of the whole A level. You will take an exam at the end of the year that is worth the other half of the marks for the A2 level and again a quarter of the whole A level.
NOTE – exams build upon the knowledge gained at GCSE level therefore it is vital that you have either previously completed GCSE Graphic products or are willing to study much more and much harder than those who have in order to catch up on the knowledge required.
The course will provide you with practical design related skills like (CAD) but will also provide many transferable skills highly sought after at both university and in many careers involving analysis, research or evaluation. Most of our Design Technology students go on to study design at university as this course can lead to careers in:
- Graphic Design
- Interior Design
- Furniture Design
- Fashion Design
- Games design (alongside relevant ICT qualifications)
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Bebington High Sports College directly.