Information Technology BTEC Level 3 at Marriotts School
BTEC Level 3 Extended Certificate is designed to provide specialist work-related qualifications in the areas of Computing and IT Systems. The objective of this qualification is to give learners the opportunity to develop their knowledge and skills in IT systems, systems management and social media in business. This will enable learners to
progress to further study in the IT sector or other sectors.
Units of study
- Unit 1 – Information Technology Systems
- Unit 2 – Creating systems to manage information
- Unit 3 – Using Social Media in Business
- Unit 6 – Website development.
Students should have a Merit or above at Level 2 in ICT BTEC or a C or above in GCSE Computing. It is strongly advised that students should have a C in English Language, as a minimum. The coursework element requires students to be able to write in a style appropriate for A level/Level 3 BTEC.
- Unit 1 – This unit is externally assessed by a written examination set and marked by Edexcel. The examination is 2 hours in length. Learners will be assessed on their understanding of computer systems and the implications of their use in personal and professional situations.
- Unit 2 – This unit is externally assessed by a task set and marked by Edexcel. The set task will be completed under supervised conditions for 10 hours in a 1 week period set by Edexcel which can be arranged over a number of sessions.
- Unit 3 – Internally assessed and subject to standards verification.
- Unit 6 – Internally assessed and subject to standards verification.
This qualification carries UCAS points and is recognised by higher education providers as meeting admission requirements to many relevant courses. As the content is equivalent in size to one A level, higher education representatives have confirmed that it is appropriate to allow learners to choose their optional units from a wide range so that they can explore their own choice of areas for further study. The qualification supports entry to, for example:
- HND in Business
- BA (Hons) in Computer Arts
- BSc (Hons) in Fashion Buying Management
- BSc (Hons) in Software Development for Animation
- BA (Hons) in Accounting and Finance.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Marriotts School directly.