Physics AS-Level at St Clement Danes School
- To develop essential knowledge and understanding of the concepts of Physics
- To develop and demonstrate a deep appreciation of the skills, knowledge and understanding of scientific methods
- To develop competence and confidence in a variety of practical, mathematical and problem solving skills
- To develop interest and enthusiasm in Physics, including developing an interest in further study and careers associated with the subject
- To understand how society makes decisions about scientific issues and how the sciences contribute to the success of the economy and society
The Physics course is split into six modules. Modules 1-4 constitute the stand alone AS Level; Modules 1-6, combined with the practical endorsement constitute the full A Level.
The AS course is split into 4 modules. Module 1 develops the skills of planning, implementing, analysis and evaluation of data. Module 2 develops the mathematical content focussing on scalar and vector quantities. Modules 3 and 4 build on the content covered at GCSE in particular on forces, energy, electricity and waves.
- Module 1 - Development of practical skills in physics
- Module 2 - Foundations of physics
- Module 3 - Forces and motion
- Module 4 - Electrons, waves and photons
Attain at least a C grade in English Language/English Literature GCSE or Mathematics GCSE. Additional Science: B or Physics: B.
- Unit 1 Breadth in Physics: 50% of total AS Level
- Unit 2 Depth in Physics: 50% of total AS Level
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact St Clement Danes School directly.