Accessibility links

Dance A Level at Oasis Academy Brightstowe

Course description

In the first year (AS) you will have two main areas of study: Understanding Dance and Choreography and Performance. Both are designed to get you on your feet dancing solo and with others in a practical expression of your new found skills. You will learn from studying the professionals and see how dance can have a great meaning and expression. Your coursework will also include physical, interpretative and performance skills.

The second year takes you up a step with two more study topics. In the first- Dance Appreciation- you will study a dance genre in more detail and there will be set work to study. You will develop your choreography skills even further, creating a dance for other people; this area of study, called Group Choreography and Solo Performance includes your very own performance in the style of the set dance.

Course content

In the first year you will sit a written paper on Understanding Dance. This paper will account for 40% of your AS marks. The remaining 60% of your marks are for the practical coursework from your Choreography and Performance study.

The second year assessment is also in two parts. The 90 minute paper you will sit on Dance Appreciation accounts for 50% of your marks. A practical examination on Group Choreography and Solo Performance accounts for the remaining 50% of your A2 marks.

Entry requirements

NBP16C level 3 entry requirement, and proven experience in dance classes, ideally contemporary or ballet. A GCSE or BTEC in dance will be advantageous though not essential.

Assessment

Teacher led technique classes, choreographic tasks and discussions. Student led choreography, research and discussions. There will also be theatre visits and sessions with guest dance artists; in the past students have worked with Neshima Dance Company and Kompany Malakhi amongst others.

Future opportunities

A level dance is suitable for anyone wanting to pursue dance or the arts in higher education, or as support for any course requiring good communication and group work skills. In addition to performing, choreographing and teaching, this course might lead to such diverse careers as dance therapy or journalism. Ex-students have gone on to study at Rambert, The Place, Northern School for Contemporary Dance amongst other vocational centres, as well as universities to study medicine, dance and teacher training.

How to apply

If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Oasis Academy Brightstowe directly.

Last updated date: 10 July 2015

Key information

Venues