A Level Art (Fine Art) at St Thomas More High School for Boys
On the A Level course, you will complete coursework which is intended to form the basis on which students develop their knowledge, skill and understanding in creating a rich visual language within the context of selected ideas. Ideas provide the starting point for art and design practice, forming an integral part of the creative process. Students should be encouraged to formulate ideas from a variety of starting points. They should learn how to carry out appropriate research into the works of artists and use this to inform the development of their ideas. Unit outcomes should reflect intentions expressed in the supporting studies. There will be a strong emphasis on developing technical skills including painting, drawing, printmaking and image manipulation using photoshop.
In Year 13 students will be required to produce a ‘Personal Study’ which is a 1000-3000 word thesis based on a particular interest within the world of art and design. This is marked separately.
GCSE grade B or higher and a genuine interest in the subject.
Unit 1 coursework submissions and unit 2 exam submissions should include evidence of:
- an exploration of a theme
- appropriate research and recording from primary sources
- selecting appropriate sources and contextual images for analysis, demonstrating, understanding, meaning and context
- analysing and using sources and contexts to inform and inspire their own work
- development of ideas, ongoing analysis and review
- exploration of media and methods to record information and develop ideas
- synthesis of ideas and outcome(s) which connect with appropriate contexts
The coursework is 60% and the Exam is worth 40% and compromises of a 3 month preparatory period and a 15 hour timed painting.
Foundation course in art and design leading to a degree in one of many art and design courses available e.g Graphic design, Architecture, Fine art.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact St Thomas More High School for Boys directly.