Children's Care, Play, Learning & Development Level 2 Diploma at Somerset College
This qualification will provide you with the necessary knowledge and practical skills to work under supervision in a range of childcare and educational settings. This may involve working with children with special needs such as learning difficulties or physical difficulties and will require you to undertake work experience.
During this course you will study core units, including:
- Understanding Children’s Development
- Keeping Children Safe
- Communication with Children and Adults
- Preparing and Maintaining the Environment for Childcare
- Professional Development
- Children’s Play Activities
- English and Maths
- Forest School
Upon successful completion of the Diploma you will gain an assistant licence to practise in Children’s Care.
- Five GCSEs at grade D or above, including English Language (Written) and Maths.
- You will need to provide evidence that you have experience working with young children, for example babysitting or voluntary work.
- You must be between 16-19 years old.
- Successful selection interview is necessary and a DBS check is required.
There are assignments for each unit studied plus practical assessments related to your work experience. It will be necessary to successfully complete 300 hours of work experience.
You could progress on to the Level 3 Diploma in Children’s Play, Learning and Development or Level 3 Diploma in Health & Social Care.
You could seek employment, possibly as an assistant nursery nurse, au pair, a nanny in a private household or a pre-school assistant or an Apprenticeship.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Somerset College directly.