French AS and A Level at Harton Technology College
Studying French brings you into close contact with the country’s rich historic, literary and artistic traditions. Improve your command of the language, written and spoken, and study contemporary sources and media.
AS / A Level French is a one / two year course, which develops further the listening, reading, writing and speaking skills of students. The approach is to teach by themes with listening and reading skills being developed at the same time as writing and speaking.
- Media: TV, advertising and communication technology
- Popular Culture: cinema, music and fashion/trends
- Healthy living/lifestyle: sport/exercise, health and well-being and holidays
- Family/relationships: relationships within the family and marriage/partnerships
- Environment: pollution, energy and protecting the planet
- The multi-cultural society: immigration, integration and racism
- Contemporary social issues: wealth and poverty, law and order and the impact of scientific and technological progress
Cultural topic: the study of a target language speaking region/community or the study of a period of 20th century history from a target language-speaking country.
All the work done arises from authentic texts and the lessons are conducted as far as possible in the target language. Students are also encouraged to undertake a work experience placement or visit France.
- To access level three courses at Harton 6th Form, students need to obtain a minimum GCSE only Average Point Score (APS) of 6 (from the best 8 GCSE results).
- Students should have at least GCSE grade 5 in both English and mathematics.
This is designed to match a unit based approach to assessment, whereby following initial registration candidates may take and accumulate units.
Students are able to sit modules at the end of year 12 and year 13.
Students will sit examinations for the first two Modules at the end of Year 12 and the remainder at the end of the course.
In an international jobs market a modern foreign language can give you a competitive edge.
It also combines well with many other course and allows you to access combined degrees such as International Business.
“Studying A-Level French at Harton has allowed me to become up-to-date with culture and current affairs in France, as well as dramatically improving my spoken and written skills. My teachers at AS and A2 level have provided quality support both in and out of the classroom environment, as well as encouraging further independent study of the language. A-Level French is by far my favourite subject at 6th Form and I am aiming to go on to study French and Spanish BA Hons at university next year.”
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Harton Technology College directly.