Biology A Level at Ysgol Maes y Gwendraeth
Why study Biology?
- To develop an interest in and enthusiasm for the subject which may lead to further study and a career in the subject
- To provide a broad factual base and skills
- To appreciate how society makes decisions about scientific issues
2 AS and 3 A level units
Biology 1: Basic Biochemistry and cell organisation
Chemical elements are joined together to form biological compounds. Cell structure and organisation. Cell membranes and transport. Biological reactions are regulated by enzymes. Nucleic acids and their function. Genetic information is passed on to daughter cells.
Biology 2: Biodiversity and Physiology of Body systems
All organisms are linked through their evolutionary history. Adaptations for gas exchange. Adaptations for transport. Adaptations for nutrition
Biology 3: Energy, Homeostasis and the Environment
- Importance of ATP.
- Population size and ecosystems.
- Human impact on the environment.
- Homeostasis and the kidney. The nervous system.
Biology 4: Variation, Inheritance and Options
- Sexual reproduction in humans.
- Sexual reproduction in plants.
- Inheritance. Variation and evolution.
- Application of reproduction and genetics and 1 of the following: A. Immunology and Disease, B. Human Musculoskeletal Anatomy, C. Neurobiology and Behaviour, D. Food Sciene
Biology 5: Practical Examination
Biology 1: 20% of A Level - Written examination: 1 hour 30 minutes
Biology 2: 20% of A Level - Written examination: 1 hour 30 minutes
Biology 3: 25% of A level - Written examination: 2 hours
Biology 4: 25% of A Level - Written examination: 2 hours
Biology 5: 10% of A Level - Practical Examination
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Ysgol Maes y Gwendraeth directly.