Spanish A-Level at St Clement Danes School
By continuing to study Spanish in the sixth form you will develop considerable fluency in speaking and writing as you practise the art of expressing yourself with sophistication. You will be able to understand native speakers of Spanish and will expand your knowledge of the culture, literature and history of Spain.
- Develop an interest in, and enthusiasm for, language learning
- Develop understanding of the language in a variety of contexts and genres
- Communicate confidently, clearly and effectively in the language for a range of purposes
- Develop awareness and understanding of the contemporary society, cultural background and heritage of countries or communities where the language is spoken
- Consider their study of the language in a broader context
- Derive enjoyment and benefit from language learning
- Acquire knowledge, skills and understanding for practical use, further study and/or employment
- Communicate with speakers of the language
- Take their place in a multilingual global society
- Complete a coherent, satisfying and worthwhile course of study for students who do not progress to further study in the subject
- Gain an excellent basis for further study of languages at degree level or equivalent
An educational visit to Spain is an expected part of the course. Students who take up a language at A Level must consider this and other subjects’ coursework deadlines. Both AS and the full A level offer evidence to prospective employers of a significant level of achievement in all language skills, together with evidence of critical insight and a knowledge and understanding of another culture and the place of that culture within European development. Students leaving school to enter employment after gaining one of these AS qualifications will be able to show some evidence of language skills relating to the world of work.
- Unit 1 - Listening, Reading and Writing
- Unit 2 - Speaking Test
- Unit 3 - Listening, Reading and Writing
- Unit 4 - Speaking Test
Attain at least a C grade in English Language/English Literature GCSE or Mathematics GCSE. Spanish: B (all from higher tier papers).
Unit 1 - Listening, Reading and Writing 2 hr written exam (110 marks). 70% of AS, 35% of A Level.
Unit 2 - Speaking Test 35 minute speaking test, including 20 minutes preparation (50 marks). 30% of AS, 15% of A Level.
Unit 3 - Listening, Reading and Writing 2 hr 30 mins written exam (110 marks). 35% of A Level.
Unit 4 - Speaking Test 35 minute speaking test, including 20 minutes preparation (50 marks). 15% of A Level.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact St Clement Danes School directly.