Hair & Beauty at The Rushden Community College
Principal Learning: Level 1
- Gain a broad understanding of the hair and beauty sector
- Investigate the whole sector and gain possible career opportunities within the sector
- Understand key personal presentation, customer service and communication skills
- Be given opportunities to practice some basic hairdressing, skin care and nail services
- Be encouraged to investigate the importance of appearance and style
Principal Learning: Level 2
- Experience the benefits and challenges of working within the sector prior to entering potential employment
- Be introduced to key legal health and safety requirements
- Study basic anatomy and physiology linked to the delivery of basic hair, skin and nail services.
- Recognise the importance of communication skills in building a successful career.
- Understand how personality and cultural, racial, gender, fashion and religious influences can be expressed through the use of make up and skin care techniques
Principal Learning: Level 3
- Develop general management and business skills in a hair and beauty context
- Be introduced to factors influencing business location
- Investigate how to select, match and create media suitable for an event
- Explore marketing strategies for hair and beauty products
- Understand a range of professional spa organisations
- Know the key scientific principals and concepts of cosmetic chemistry.
You need to have a strong interest in acquiring the skills and knowledge which will prepare students for a career in the hair and beauty industry or for further study at Advanced Level. We are looking for 4-5 GCSE's at Grades C or D including at least one 'Arts' subject. You must be confident that you can achieve functional skills at level 2.
Hair and Beauty Studies Diploma consists of six industries: hairdressing, barbering, beauty therapy, spa therapy, African-type hairdressing/barbering and nail services. It will mostly incorporate internal assessment. However external assessment will also be required for some of the principal learning at each level. Additional and specialist learning units and qualifications will be assessed by their existing arrangements
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact The Rushden Community College directly.