Design and Technology - AS/A Level at Grŵp Llandrillo Menai
Would you like to develop a broad understanding of design and technology? This course is aimed at a wide range of students who wish to appreciate the complex relations between design, materials, manufacture and marketing. It allows you to gain skills in designing and making products, which will be demonstrated through practical course work.
The course can be taken as part of a full-time programme of study in conjunction with other AS subjects, or possibly with other Level 3 qualifications. Our staff will be happy to help you put together a programme most suited to your needs. The course can also be taken on a part-time basis by mature students.
The course is delivered through a blend of the following:
- Lectures and classroom work to include group work
- Interactive resources on the course MOODLE (VLE) site
- Listening, reading and responding
- Practical workshop sessions
- The minimum entry requirement is 5 GCSEs at grade C or above, to include Mathematics and English or Welsh (1st language). Specific additional entry requirements will be discussed with you at interview.
- Consideration will be given to mature students without recognised qualifications.
- Entry onto the full A Level is based on your performance at AS Level.
- All students must have an interest in the field of designing and making and be eager to explore a variety of media and techniques.
All places are subject to satisfactory interview.
The theory units will be examined in May/June each year. The project and portfolio work will be assessed in parts throughout the year and externally moderated in early May.
Whether you study the full A Level or just the AS Level, the course adds to your qualifications and helps you to progress. You will gain UCAS points and be able to apply for a range of Higher Education courses at many institutions, including Grŵp Llandrillo Menai.
If you choose to continue your studies in a related subject, there are many university courses available, and your studies on the A Level course will help you to make an informed choice from the options available. You could progress onto the Foundation Degree in Art and Design, or apply for a degree in teaching, product design, jewellery design, fashion and textiles, engineering, architecture, or any other area which interests you.Career opportunities
- University level course such as a Foundation or Honours Degree
- Continue with studies with a work-based qualification at the college
Programme code: 0014C03B
This programme is available bilingually at the following campus(es):
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Grŵp Llandrillo Menai directly.