Sport BTEC level 3 Diploma at Harris Academy Merton
This course will enable you to improve your knowledge and understanding of how and why sporting activities and movements take place. Throughout the course, additional activities and qualifications will be undertaken. The course will provide you with essential knowledge to pursue a career in the Sport and Leisure industry or continue into Higher Education.
This course will be timetabled over the academic week. The course will include direct teaching, instruction and assessment, together with other structured learning time such as directed assignments or supported individual study. Students should be very aware that this is mostly a Theory-Based Course, and should remember that as there are no exams at the end of the course, the coursework demands can be quite intense at times. There will be large amounts of practical, involving team sports.
The course is available as either a single or a double award at the Merton campus.
The course will cover areas such as the following:
- Training and Fitness in Sport
- Sports Coaching
- Sports Development
- Sport as a Business
- Fitness Testing for Sport and Exercise
- Practical Team Sports
- Practical Individual Exercise
- Outdoor Activities
Standard Sixth Form Entry Requirements:
- To study 4 A levels: must have average GCSE points score of 52+
- To study 3 A levels: must have 7 A* - C grades in full course GCSE subjects
- To study 3 A levels/vocational combination: must have 5 A* - C/9 - 4 grades at GCSE or Merit or above in Vocational subjects
- To study vocational level 3 subjects: 5 A* - C/9 - 4 grades at GCSE or equivalent, with at least a merit/C/4 grade in a relevant vocational qualification or GCSE
- Extended writing A level subject students will need a combination of at least grades 4 and 5 in English Language and English Literature
Subject specific requirements:
Students require a grade C or above in English and Maths GCSE. Students should have a Merit grade in Level 2 Sport or a related course of study, or a grade C in PE GCSE.
This course is suitable for anyone with an interest in sport and who wants to gain a qualification to go into employment within the Sport Health and Fitness industry or onto a Sport related Higher Education course; sporting ability is desired.
Modules are assessed individually through coursework and assignments that are set and marked by both internal and external moderators.
This qualification will provide entry to a related Degree or Higher National Diploma, such as Sports Science, PE or Leisure. It is also good preparation for anyone who wants to move straight into the Sports, Leisure or Health and Fitness industries.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Harris Academy Merton directly.