German A level at Eckington School
Here at Eckington School we are passionate about language learning and our team of linguists work hard to ensure that our students have every opportunity to be successful and enjoy the experience of learning French or German.
- Not everyone in the world speaks English! According to the National Centre for Languages (CILT) 94% of the world does not speak English as their first language, 75% of the world does not speak any English at all!
- Learning a foreign language develops a variety of skills reading, listening, communication, presentation, problem solving, organisation and independence.
- It can improve understanding of the English language as it heightens awareness of structure and grammar.
- Language learning promotes tolerance as it offers an insight into other cultures.
- It can make travel and leisure more exciting and interesting.
- 60% of Britains exports go to non-English speaking countries and 20% of UK exports are adversely affected by barriers in language or cultural ignorance.
As the study of languages post Key Stage 3 is currently optional, we find that in Key Stages 4 & 5 we have small classes which benefit greatly from increased opportunity for one on one support from their teachers.
Our annual exchange with the Herzogenaurach Gymnasium near Nuremberg in Germany is currently in its 6th year. Each October a group of German students stay with the families of Eckington students, with our students traveling to Germany in the summer term for the second leg of the exchange. The exchange is so enjoyable that a number of students have opted to return for a second or third time and we are hoping that as word spreads, the exchange will become more and more popular as there are many students at our partner school who would love to visit Eckington and in turn, host one of our students in Germany.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Eckington School directly.