BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Agriculture at Coleg Sir Gar
A two year full time course in Agriculture, based at the GelliAur campus. It's packed full of practical skills training combined with lectures, field trips, visits and a period of work placement. This course can lead directly to employment in the industry or can be used to gain entry into higher education.
There are 18 units in the Extended Diploma.
· Understand Animal Anatomy and Physiology
· Undertake an investigative project in the land-based sector
· Undertake and Review Work Related Experience in the Land-based Industries
· Business Management in the Land-based Sector
· Understand Principles of Plant Science(half unit)
· Understand Principles of Soil Science(half unit)
· Undertake Estate Skills
· Manage Agricultural Habitats
· Undertake Agricultural Forage
· Crop Production
· Understand Agricultural Organic Production
· Participate in business improvement in the land-based sector
· Understanding Livestock Breeding and Nutrition
· Understand and Promote Animal Health
· Undertaking Sheep Production
· Undertake Beef Production
· Undertake Dairy Production
· Understand and Carry Out Farm Livestock Husbandry
· Understand Grassland Management
· Undertaking Land-based Machinery Operations
A minimum of 4 GCSEs at grades C or above.Progression from any Level 2 course in Agriculture. The Intermediate Welsh Baccalaureate would also allow progression onto the Extended Diploma. Mature students with no formal qualifications are welcomed following a successful interview.
Knowledge and practical skills are assessed in a variety of ways including assignments, end of unit tests, case studies, practical and oral assessments. Whilst on placement students are also required to collect witness testimonies from their employer.
Successful completion of the Extended Diploma will qualify students for entry to HNC / HND or Degree courses in related subjects. This course also prepares you for the practical needs of the farming industry. There are numerous careers which this course could prepare you for: Farm Manager, Shepherd, Herdsperson, Shearer, Production and Distribution of Feeds and Seeds, Sales and Product Marketing, Welsh Assembly Government, Animal Health Officers, Nutritionist and many more jobs involved in the food industry.
· A vocational course suited to well motivated intelligent practical farming students
· The course covers all aspects of agriculture. This includes working with livestock, grassland, forage crops and machinery
· It has UCAS points tariff and the top grade that could be achieved, a D*D*D* (triple distinction) is equivalent to 360 UCAS points
· The campus has excellent modern teaching facilities and is sited on the college farm which makes access to practicals very easy
· A caring committed tutorial team that ensures students happiness and success
How to apply
You can apply for this course through UCAS Progress. Add this course to your favourites so you can start making an application.