Physical Education A-Level at Lancaster Royal Grammar School
Why study PE?
What are lessons like?
This varies according to the module and the preferences of individual teachers. There is no typical lesson, some have didactic delivery; others have discussion; there is use of Power Point with student presentation; use of computers and internet research is a possibility and there may be some practical activity thrown in!
The entry requirement for Year 12 (Lower Sixth) is at least seven Bs or better in the GCSE examinations, including a minimum of a B grade in any subject to be taken. An A grade is required for A-level Mathematics. All applicants need a minimum of a C grade in both English and Mathematics, regardless of the subjects they wish to take.
Please note that at the end of the Lower Sixth, at least three grades at D or above are normally required to ensure progression into the Upper Sixth (Year 13).
We will accept an equivalent level of performance in your country’s exams and will require verification of results by your school. A report supporting your application from your current school will also be very important. Please note that we can only accept overseas students who are UK passport holders.
- Non-Exam Assessment (NEA). One practical performance, as either a coach or a performer in an activity.
- NEA. One Performance Analysis task.
- A total of four hours assessment split over three examination papers (2 x 1 hour and 1 x 2 hour) taken at the end of the two year course.
- A wide range of question types including: single mark, short answer and extended response questions.
- The opportunity to demonstrate your knowledge of both theory and performance skills in both your NEA and through the examinations.
There are a variety of careers, not necessarily totally sport-related of course. Some examples of those that are sportrelated include sports science, dietician, physiotherapist, sports psychologist, sports leisure management, sports media reporting, sports sales and management – the world is your oyster!
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Lancaster Royal Grammar School directly.