Sport BTEC Level 3 at West Somerset College
If you are a sports person with an interest in developing your or others abilities in sport, then this course is for you. You will need to be self-motivated, organised & be ready to work with others in changing environments.
This qualification is designed to prepare students for employment in the Sports and Leisure industry. Alternatively, learners could continue to degree or other higher education programmes in the same vocational sector (equivalent to 3 A Level’s).
You will complete fifteen units in all, included in the range of topics below are the eleven mandatory units.
- Anatomy & Physiology
- Fitness Training & Programming for Health, Sport & well-being
- Professional Development in the Sports Industry
- Sports Leadership
- Sports Psychology
- Coaching for Performance
- Sports Event Organisation
- Development & Provision of Sport & Physical Activity
- Provision of Sport for People with Physical & Learning Disabilities
- Coaching & Leading for Participation
- Physical Education & the care of Young People
The course will cover a range an extensive range of topics above, using a mixture of theory & practical lessons. There may be opportunities to complete some National Governing Body coaching qualifications as part of the course. These will normally require giving up some of your time & there may be a small fee. A first aid course is normally run as part of the course also.
The course is designed for you to experience the above topics as if you were working in the sports industry, so often you will need to research & apply information to demonstrate your understanding. The work experience unit will give you an excellent venture into the world of work in the industry.
5 GCSEs at grade 5/C or above including English and Maths. Whilst the prior study of GCSE/Level 2 Sport is beneficial, it is not essential.
For the majority of the course you will be assessed through written coursework assignments, these link together to give you an overall final grade. It is essential therefore that you perform highly across the whole two years of the course. Some units will require you to complete tests, others case studies & some interviews. One unit will be an online examination & another two will be assignments that are sent off to be externally marked.
Your next steps after the course could be:
- University course in sport, sports development, coaching, fitness, marketing & many more.
- Work in the ever developing world of sport.
- Career in the fitness industry, working as an instructor.
- Travel to other countries to coach sports & work with young people.
You will be required to assist in core PE lessons with the lower school, giving up your time to help you develop your skills in coaching. This will be an excellent experience that you can use when applying for jobs or to continue your education at university.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact West Somerset College directly.