Public Services (Uniformed) Level 3 Diploma at Cirencester College
This course is designed to meet the needs of students wishing to pursue a career in the uniformed
public services (the Armed Forces, Police, Fire and Rescue, Ambulance, Prisons, HM Revenue and Customs, Border Agency and the Maritime and Coastguard Agency).
While the course is tailored to assist entry to a career in one of the public services, it is also a qualification that can take you on to higher education. The skills involved are highly transferable and essential in a wide variety of career settings.
Year 1 – Subsidiary & 90 Credit Diploma
- Leadership and Teamwork in the Public Services
- Citizenship and Diversity in the Public Services
- Government Policies and the Public Services=
- Land based Navigation by Map & Compass
- Outdoor and adventurous Expeditions
- Physical Preparation, Health and Lifestyle for the Public Services
- Police Powers In the Public Services
- Crime and its effects on Society
- Impact of War, Conflict and Terrorism
Year 2 – Diploma & Extended Diploma
- Understanding Discipline in the Public Services
- Fitness Testing and Training for the Public Services
- Water Based Outdoor and Adventurous Activities
- Land Based Outdoor and Adventurous Activities
- Aspects of Law and the Legal System
- Communication and Technology in the Uniformed Public Services
- Responding to Emergency Incidents
- Security procedures in the Public Services
- Custodial Care Services
There are NO specific entry requirements for this course but the college’s general entry requirements do apply.
Students who do not have English/maths will be interviewed by the course leader to ascertain their suitability.
You should be medically fit and able to take part in fitness training, overnight camping expeditions, five day residential camps, day walks, water sports and other challenging outdoor adventurous activities.
To avoid disappointment, if you have decided on a career in a specific branch of the services, please check the fitness and health requirements and ensure you meet the appropriate standards.
Currently, there are few or no exams on the National Diploma courses. All units are assessed through assignment-based work and the observation of practical demonstrations and activities. The assignments will have deadlines for completion and a strong emphasis is placed upon compliance with these deadlines. You may be required to meet the standards of other awarding bodies in relation to practical skill assessments and exams.
The skills acquired through UPC are extremely broad and will support various career opportunities. It is certainly not for the military alone! This course is a recognised route into Higher Education or employment . It is typical for students to progress from the course into employment within the public services in fields including:
- Armed Forces
- Police Service
- Fire Service
- Ambulance Service
- HM Customs and Excise
- Outdoor Activity Centres
- Prison and Security Services
- Voluntary Organisations.
However regarding the Higher Education route, we have seen students proceed to study university degrees from Criminology to Management as the skills acquired in UPS are highly transferable and relevant.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Cirencester College directly.