Games Design & Animation BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma at Macclesfield College
This course provides an excellent and varied programme giving you access to Higher Education or to a wide variety of IT careers. You will develop skills, knowledge and understanding in IT and you will apply your learning in a practical and realistic way.
For this course you will study a total of nine units. Three core units will provide a general foundation and others are specialist
units which will introduce you to particular topics in more depth.
- Communication and employability skills for IT
- Computer systems
- Information systems
Specialist units may include:
- Computer animation
- Computer games platforms
- Computer game design
- Procedural programming
- Digital graphics
- Website design
- Games platform technologies
Alongside your main programme of study you will also study either GCSE or Functional Skills in English and Maths if you have not achieved a GCSE grade C or above. If you have achieved a grade C or above in GCSE English and Maths, you will engage in extending these skills through a Directed Study Programme.
For this course you will need to have achieved one of the following:
- A minimum of 4 GCSEs Grade A*-C, ideally to include English Language and Mathematics
- A Level 2 qualification (e.g. BTEC Level 2 Diploma) at Merit grade or above with Functional Skills English and Mathematics at Level 2 or above
On receipt of your application to study this course you will be invited to attend an admissions interview with a member of the teaching team to discuss the course and its requirements further.
The BTEC Level 3 Diploma units are assessed through project work, assignment work and internal or external examinations. Each unit
is graded Pass, Merit or Distinction and then an overall grade of Pass, Merit, Distinction or Distinction* is awarded on completion.
GCSE and Functional Skills qualifications are assessed through external examination and portfolio work.
You will have the opportunity to undertake work experience and to take part in educational and industrial visits during your course. Possible visits may include MOSI, Old Trafford Football Ground, The Bradford Media Museum, local businesses, university and UCAS events, most of which will incur an additional cost which will be discussed at interview.
On successful achievement of this course you may wish to:
- Apply to study at Higher Education to undertake a Higher National or Degree in Games Development or an IT related subject such as E-Commerce or Multimedia
- Pursue career opportunities in business systems management, E-Commerce, games design or web development as the BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma is valued by employers
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Macclesfield College directly.