Spanish at Carshalton Boys Sports College
The aims of the A Level Spanish course are as follows:
To develop understanding of the spoken and written forms of Spanish from a
variety of registers.
To communicate confidently, clearly and effectively in Spanish through both the
spoken and written word.
To develop critical insights into, and contact with, the contemporary society, cultural background of countries where Spanish is spoken.
To provide a sufficient basis for the further study of foreign languages at degree
level or equivalent.
Learning a language improves chances of entry into college or graduate school
then the options are many. Knowing a language will open the job market; whether
you are heading towards sales, marketing, the Law, tourism, catering, sports management, public relations, media; you will always stand out by being able to stretch your company’s capacity to trade.
This Modern Foreign Language qualification will go alongside almost any combination of subjects: the skills developed would be beneficial to all subjects.
This course is linear, which means that all exams will take place at the end of the 2
years of study.
Students will study the following topics:
• Social issues and trends (e.g. Modern and traditional values (Los valores tradicionales y modernos), Cyberspace (El ciberespacio), Equal rights (La igualdad de los sexos), Immigration (La Inmigración), Racism (El Racismo), Integration (La Convivencia)
• Political and artistic culture (Modern day idols (La influencia de los ídolos),
Spanish regional identity (La identidad regional en España), Cultural heritage or
cultural landscape (El patrimonio cultural), Today’s youth, tomorrow’s citizens
(Jóvenes de hoy, ciudadanos de mañana), Monarchies, republics and dictatorships (Monarquías, repúblicas y dictaduras), Popular movements (Movimientos populares)
• Literary text/film Students are assessed on the following skills at the end of the course:
• Listening, reading & writing: 40% (written exam: 2 hours 30 minutes)
• Writing: 30% (written exam: 2 hours)
• Speaking: 30% (oral exam: 21–23 minutes (including 5 minutes preparation time)
Grade C or above at GCSE at Higher Tier in the relevant language.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Carshalton Boys Sports College directly.
Last updated date: 05 September 2016