Accessibility links

Health and Social Care BTEC Level 3 at Tor Bridge High

Course description

Are you interested in a career that involves working with people? Do you wish to gain the skills and qualifications necessary to work in the Health or Social Care industries. Whether you wish to study to become a nurse, social worker, occupational therapist, support worker or midwife (to name a few!) this qualification will give you the underpinning knowledge required to progress into a job or apprenticeship in your chosen field or on to a related Health or Social Care degree.

Course content

For the extended certificate (worth 1 A-Level) there are four units that you will complete:

1. Human lifespan development (exam) covers physical, intellectual, emotional and social development across the human lifespan.

2. Working in health and social care (exam) explores what it is like to work in the health and social care sector, including the roles and responsibilities of workers and
organisations.

3. Meeting individual care and support needs (coursework) introduces you to the values and issues that need to be considered when planning care and support
that meet the needs of an individual in a health and social care environment

4. The final unit is likely to be psychological perspectives (coursework) which explores key theoretical perspectives on psychological and physical development and how they are applied in different health and social care settings.

For the diploma (worth 2 A-Levels) you would complete the modules above as well as the three mandatory modules below and one further module.

5. Enquiries into current research in Health and Social Care (exam).

6. Principles of safe practice in Health and Social Care (coursework).
7. Promoting public health (coursework).
8. Likely to be sociological perspectives (coursework).

Entry requirements

You need a strong commitment to study a range of materials including research from books. You will need to be able to communicate well in extended writing and learn
subject specific words. This is an academic course that is interesting, enjoyable and challenging and it would usually be expected that you have achieved at least 6 GCSE grades A* — C (or equivalent) and a minimum of grade C in GCSE Health & Social Care and a grade 5 in English.

Assessment

This BTEC extended certificate is assessed through examination and coursework. 42% of your final grade will be from your coursework and the remaining 58% will be from the exam. The Diploma is 54% coursework and 46% exam.

How to apply

If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Tor Bridge High directly.

Last updated date: 17 January 2018

Key information

Venues