Accessibility links

Photography A Level at Nene Park Academy

Course description

Imagine a world without images... a very empty place. If you are willing to work hard, and are curious about the role of imagery in our culture, then this course is ideal.

Our Photography course is not just about learning how to take effective photographs - you will learn how to use a variety of historical and contemporary photographic techniques including editing in Photoshop. You will develop an effective, skilled and creative use of a range of tools and equipment, learning to apply this knowledge in a creative and focussed way. You will also learn about the history of photography and how to analyse, evaluate and interpret your own and professional images.

Course content

Through project-based learning you will be taught the necessary technical and creative skills to take and manipulate photographic images in such a way that you can effectively realise your ideas.

The course will cover camera techniques, studio photography, use of Photoshop and will explore ways of using photographic images in a wider context including Fine Art & Advertising. You will develop the visual language skills to enable you to comprehend, understand, evaluate and respond personally to photographic imagery.

15% of the course assessment involves the production of finished photographs, the remaining 85% is image manipulation, research and evaluation.

 

Entry requirements

Standard: (Five GCSE subjects at a minimum grade 4 or the equivalent including Maths and English), including a minimum grade 6 in GCSE English and a grade 6 or Merit in Art, History or Media Studies.

Assessment

In the first year you will complete a project-based coursework unit based around your exploration of processes and techniques working within a given theme.

In the second year you will devise and pursue your own coursework project (including an essay based Personal Study) that in addition to your first year's work is worth 60%; before completing a final externally set assignment of ten weeks culminating in 15 hours of moderated work in May worth 40% of the qualification.

Future opportunities

This is an ideal subject for students wishing to follow a path in photography, media, film and animation. It is possible to use your work from the AS and A2 photography portfolios in their applications to leading art and/ or design foundation courses at colleges and universities.

Further information

How to apply

If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Nene Park Academy directly.

Last updated date: 27 September 2017
Provider logo

Key information

  • Start date: Next September
  • Duration: 2 Years
  • Course code: Pg

Contact details

Venues