Economics AS & A Level at Hornsea School and Language College
Don’t be put off if you haven’t studied anything like this before. This course is suitable for students who:
- Prefer exams to coursework.
- Are interested in current affairs
- Like to solve real life business problems
- Want to gain a good commercial understanding of the world.
You look at what is happening in the world today: We regularly watch relevant clips relating the course to current world events. We look at issues from a range of points of view and you are encouraged to form your own opinion on things like whether Primark’s prices really are too good to be true given their ethical policy, whether Brexit was a good idea and the future of beer and mobile phones in Africa.
Theme 1: Markets, consumers and firms
- Solving The Economic Problem
- Supply and Demand
- Accounting and Finance
Theme 2: The wider economic environment
- Getting ahead in business
- Life in a global economy
- The economic cycle
- The role of the government
Theme 3: The global economy
- Multinational corporations
- Inequality and redistribution.
Theme 4: Making markets work
- Competition and market power
- Market failure
- How and when the government should get involved
5 A*-C GCSE including English & Maths. Interest in humanities sits well with this course. You must be happy using maths to answer simple problems as 20% of the assessment uses these skills.
- Paper 1: Markets & How They Work, exam, 2hrs, 35%
- Paper 2: Competing in a Global Economy, exam, 2hrs, 35%
- Paper 3: Economic Environment & Business, exam, 2hrs, 35%
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Hornsea School and Language College directly.