Service and Maintenance Engineering - IMI Level 1 Diploma at West Thames College
This introductory course is based in our specialist workshops at the West Thames College Skills + Logistics Centre, Feltham and is accredited by the Institute of the Motor Industry (IMI). It covers both theoretical and practical aspects of the knowledge and skills required by today's engineering industry. You will learn skills associated with working in a garage or an engineering environment and gain an understanding of health and safety in the workplace. A practical engineering or motor vehicle project will also be run throughout the year.
The course combines both practical and theory sessions.
You will study:
- Routine vehicle maintenance processes and procedures on vehicles: an introduction to the principles of routine vehicle maintenance on vehicles and the methods that must be used to ensure this is carried out effectively.
- Electrical foundation skills in an engineering environment: The basic principles of operation of 12 and 24 volt electrical systems and their components.
- Introduction to machining engineering materials: The methods used when machining materials, including drilling, turning, milling and grinding.
- Introduction to projects in an engineering environment: You will plan and run a project which creates something new or implements a change.
- Health and safety: Health and safety requirements when carrying out simple tasks in engineering environments.
You will also study functional skills in English and maths.
We will arrange work experience opportunities where possible.
None, but you will have an assessment.
If you need advice before you apply, please call 020 8326 2020 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your knowledge and skills will be assessed using a combination of methods which are set by the IMI, including:
- practical assessments in a motor vehicle / Engineering workshop environment
- written knowledge assessments
- online multiple-choice testing.
This course is free for students aged 16-18.
If you successfully complete all the modules you can go on to a Level 2 Diploma in Motor Vehicle, Engineering or Electrical Installation. You may wish to start an apprenticeship or work in the industry.
To find out more about this qualification, contact us, ask your Connexions Personal Adviser or school/college careers staff.
View all courses at West Thames College.
How to apply
You can apply for this course through UCAS Progress. Add this course to your favourites so you can start making an application.