Professional Cookery (Kitchen and Larder or Patisserie and Confectionery) Advanced Apprenticeship at Darlington College
If you are interested in a rewarding career within the hospitality and catering industry and would like to gain experience through learning whilst working within a catering environment (work based) then this level 2 Apprenticeship could be the right choice for you.
- Maintain a safe ,hygienic and secure working environment
- Maintain, handle and clean knives
- Work effectively as part of the hospitality team
- Maintain food safety when storing, preparing and cooking food
In addition to the mandatory units listed above you will complete a number of other units covering topics such as prepare and cook meat and poultry, prepare and cook vegetable dishes, prepare and cook soups, prepare and cook basic dough and pastry dishes etc., the full list of optional units will be discussed at interview.
As well as the units associated with the industry, you are also required to achieve functional skills qualifications in maths and English. The level you study at will be decided by the college upon application. You are required to achieve the functional skills qualifications as part of your main qualification.
The catering and hospitality industry relies on high client expectations and excellent customer care which then generates repeat business so it is important that you have:
- A genuine interest in food preparation and presentation
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- A good sense of humour/friendly nature
- Willingness to work flexible hours/days
- Enthusiasm and passion for the industry
You will need 4 GCSEs at grade D-E including maths and English. You must be employed for a minimum of 30 hours per week in the catering industry.
You will be required to attend an interview at the college for all courses and Apprenticeships and we will request a school or college report.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Darlington College directly.