Hairdressing - Level 1 NVQ or Diploma at Isle of Man College
Before you can enter this exciting world you must learn all the basics. The course is designed to develop the skills you will require to assist in the salon. You will experience aspects of practical Hairdressing and complete units required by City & Guilds. You will get involved in the buzz of the training salon with a regular clientele. There will be the opportunity to show your artistic skills by entering College Hair Competitions.
The course is practically based with the necessary theory of underpinning knowledge to ensure complete understanding of all aspects of Hairdressing.
- Make sure your own actions reduce the risks to health and safety
- Contribute to the development of effective working relationships
- Assist with salon reception duties
- Prepare for hair services and maintain the work area
- Shampoo and condition hair
- Blow dry hair
- Assist with hair colouring service
- Assist with perming services
- Plait and twist hair using basic techniques
There are no academic entry requirements, but you will need a good understanding of English.
You should have a degree of artistic skill and flair
You will need a high degree of physical stamina
You will have to be prepared to undertake a long initial traning and then to go on learning for the rest of your working life.
The practical assessments are given with continual assessment in the commercial salon. Projects, written or on-line tests build up a portfolio of evidence for the underpinning knowledge.
Level 2 Hairdressing
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Isle of Man College directly.