Introduction to Professional Cookery Level 1 Diploma at Newcastle College
This course will develop your practical skills and knowledge for a career in the hospitality and catering industry. It will also give you the opportunity to gain additional qualifications to help you in your career.
- Investigate the hospitality and catering industry
- Food safety in catering
- Health and safety in catering
- Healthier food and special diets
- Kitchen operations, cost and menu planning
- Applying work place skills
Prepare and cook food by:
- Steaming, poaching & boiling
- Stewing & braising
- Roasting & grilling
- Deep & shallow frying
- Regeneration of pre prepared food
- Cold food preparation
Functional Skills will also form an important part of your course. These are the skills we use in all aspects of your study, work and everyday life.
You should have an interest in Food Preparation and Cooking; or a Certificate in Hospitality and Catering;
- 4 GCSEs Grade D ( English or Maths essential ) supported by a reference from your school
- Students must have full uniform, no later than 2 weeks after the start of Academic year
- Due to food safety and awarding body requirements during practical sessions all students must remove all visible jewellery, including facial piercing and keep nails short and polish free
- Wear professional dress for practical sessions
- Have full dexterity and have a good standard of personal hygiene
- To be able to stand for long periods of time (support arrangements can be put in place if required)
- Be able to communicate and work effectively with others
- If English is not your first language, an IELTS score of 5 is required.
There are on line examinations but you must demonstrate practical competence and a complete portfolio of work (a record of your skills and knowledge). There are short internal tests for the range of additional courses.
Successful students may progress onto Level 2 Diploma in Food Professional Cookery or L2 Diploma in Hospitality
After further training many students become Kitchen Technicians, Commis Chefs/Food service operatives.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Newcastle College directly.