Childcare (Early Years Educator) BTEC Level 3 at Herefordshire & Ludlow College
Throughout the two years you will attend a minimum of three placements in a variety of settings with full support and visits from our vocationally qualified team. There are practical elements to this course to enable you to develop your creative skills.
You will also have the opportunity to achieve Emergency Paediatric First Aid, invaluable in employment.
This qualification prepares you to work unsupervised, or in a supervisory capacity, with children and their families in a variety of settings and environments within the sector of children’s services.
There will be mandatory work placements throughout the two years. The qualification is split into three stages; Award, Certificate and Diploma. The Award and Certificate build towards the Level 3 Diploma. It is expected that each student will progress through the Award and Certificate to complete the Diploma in order to be able to practise as an ‘Early Years Practitioner’.
You will cover a diverse range of topics throughout your course. A selection of unit titles is shown below.
- Observation and Assessment of Children
- Child Development from Birth to 8 years
- Play and Learning in Children’s Education
- Working with Parents and Others
- 5 GCSEs at grade C or above (to include English Language) or successful completion of a suitable and relevant Level 2 qualification at Merit grade or above
- Successful interview and initial assessment in literacy and numeracy
- Applicants will be expected to demonstrate enthusiasm and commitment to the chosen subject area
Continuous assessments, including assignments and practical work. There will be an exam in the first year based on a case study. This course includes 750 hours of work experience through the duration of the two years.
There are various opportunities for further study or employment upon successful completion of your course.
Study options may include:
- Foundation Degree in Counselling
- Higher Education in Early Years and Teaching
- Foundation Degree in Health & Social Care
- Further training towards becoming a full-qualified nurse
Employment options may include:
- Supervisory role (after appropriate experience)
- Level 3 Teaching Assistant
- Private Nanny (home or abroad)
- Children’s Holiday Co-ordinator
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Herefordshire & Ludlow College directly.