History AS/A Level at Croesyceiliog School
- Consistently excellent results.
- To obtain an academic qualification highly valued by universities.
- To gain access to employment.
- To improve communication, literacy, numeracy as well as research and study skills.
- To learn to analyse problems and evaluate critically a range of evidence.
- To learn to understand the contemporary world through the fascinating and challenging study of nineteenth century Britain and Europe.
Period Study - Aspects of the History of Europe 1815 - 1917.
In Depth Study - Reform Movements in Wales and England 1830 - 48.
The course is made up of 4 modules 3 of which are examined externally. Two modules will be sat at the end of the first year, making up the ‘AS’ level. The third unit module completed in the second year is a coursework unit while the fourth and final unit will be sat in the summer of the second year. All 4 units together make up the A2 qualification.
Examples of Topics Studied
Period Study: Italy 1830-71, the political, social and economic condition Germany 1830-71, Napoleon III
In-Depth Study: 1832 Reform Act and Political change, Peel and Reform
- A minimum 5 A* to C grades.
- A minimum of a grade C in Maths and English.
Good communication skills, in particular those developed through the GCSE course, are vital. Students will need an enquiring and analytical mind. A willingness to carry out individual research and to read ‘around the subject’ is essential. All students must have achieved a grade B at History G.C.S.E.
Only a few students make direct use of history in their careers, but the subject opens the door to a wide range of higher education and employment prospects.
CAREERS IN HISTORY
* Antique trade
* Archive work
* Art restoration
* Museum work
* Historical cartography
* History teaching
* TV/Radio research
* Building conservation
CAREERS WHERE HISTORY IS VALUED
* Armed services
* Market research
* Retail management
* Company secretary
* Social worker
* Customs and excise
* Estate agent
* Fashion design
* Health service management
CAREERS WHERE HISTORY IS USEFUL
* Local government service
* Probation officer
* Economic research
* Civil service
* Information officer/PRO
* Clock and watch restorer
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Croesyceiliog School directly.