Hairdressing and Beauty Therapy VTCT Level 2 Certificate at Bolton St Catherine's Academy
This qualification aims to support young people to:
- develop a broad and comprehensive understanding of the hair and beauty sector
- develop knowledge which spans the entire vocational sector and related industries
- develop academic study and transferable skills that will support progression within the hair and beauty sector and more broadly
Hairdressing and beauty therapy has been and remains an extremely popular vocational area that many young people are enthused by and aspire too. The aim of this qualification is to use the hair and beauty sector as a vehicle to develop learners more broadly, so they are prepared and equipped with the knowledge, understanding and skills to pursue a career in any context.
This qualification includes two mandatory units that can be applied to any sector or vocational area. In this qualification, learners will use hairdressing and beauty therapy and related industries (i.e. retail, leisure, fashion, marketing, media, business)
to develop themselves and, in particular, the skills and attributes prized by employers, further education colleges and higher education institutions. The units that make up this qualification include:
- Understanding the hair and beauty sector (mandatory) - in this unit learners will develop an understanding of the structure and importance of the hair and beauty sector. They will also learn about the products used, and services and treatments provided throughout the sector as well as career opportunities.
- Hair and beauty research project (mandatory) - in this unit learners learn how to plan a hair and beauty research project. Learners will then produce a research proposal and conduct their research into a particular topic area of the hair and beauty sector.
- Business enterprise in hair and beauty (optional) - in this unit learners will research and develop new ideas for a business enterprise in hair or beauty.
- Marketing and promotions in hair and beauty (optional) - in this unit learners will look at a hair or beauty business and then develop their own marketing materials and activities to support a product or service.
- Hair and beauty science (optional) - in this unit learners will develop an understanding of the chemistry of hair and beauty products. They will also learn about the anatomy of the skin and hair and produce a formulation for a hair and beauty product.
- Responding to a hair and beauty design brief (optional) - in this unit learners will develop an understanding of design briefs throughout the hair and beauty sector. They will then be set a specific design brief to which they have to respond by researching the area, presenting their ideas and justifying their choices.
Through undertaking this qualification learners will also develop a range of transferable skills including:
- Critical thinking and being reflective on self-performance and work produced
- Use of initiative, planning and researching skills, self-management, self-motivation and the ability to work independently
- Innovation and creativity
- Application of knowledge and understanding to real life examples and businesses
- Problem solving
- Communication skills - verbal, written and visual.
In addition to these transferable skills, learning about sectors, carrying out research, exploring businesses and new ideas for businesses, planning marketing activities and producing marketing materials, exploring science and technology, and responding to design briefs are all general skills that be applied to a vast range of topics and will prepare learners to progress to further learning in a broad range of subject areas.
Any applications will be considered with an interview by the Head of School and the student to assess suitability.
Internally assessed units, both practical and theory
These name but a few; film and TV work, photo shoots for models, salon owner, mobile hairdresser and beautician, teaacher, overseas stylist, cruise line work, Broadway and theatre celebrity stylist.
How to apply
You can apply for this course through UCAS Progress. Add this course to your favourites so you can start making an application.