Product Design A-Level at Kingsbridge Community College
This is a design course which follows on from the GCSE Design and Technology courses. It aims to extend students’ knowledge and understanding to solve design problems in the workshop and in industry. The course is designed to have a broad view of design and technology, develop designing and making skills and appreciate the complex relations between design, materials, manufacture and marketing.
What kind of student is this course suitable for?
- Do you like problem solving?
- Do you want to know more about the everyday products you buy and use?
- Do you enjoy designing?
- Do you want to learn new practical and presentational skills?
- Do you like being creative?
- Do you like working as a team?
- Do you enjoy making, testing and experimenting?
- Do you enjoy a subject where the answer is not always black or white?
- Do you enjoy discussion and debate?
- Would you like to design the products of the future?
If the answer to most of these questions is yes then you would enjoy studying Product Design at AS & A2.
At least 5 GCSEs at grades A* - C including English and Maths. Students are expected to select a minimum of 4 AS subjects in Year 12 and continue to follow a minimum of 3 subjects to A2 in Year 13.
Students should have studied GCSE Resistant Materials, Product Design, Graphic Products, or Textiles Products and gained a grade C or above at GCSE and at least a grade B in the written paper at GCSE. Students who have covered different subject areas will be considered, pending an interview with the Head of Department.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Kingsbridge Community College directly.