Digital Applications - Extended Certificate at Grange Technology College
Did you successfully complete AiDA (Unit 1) in Year 9? Do you want to continue developing ICT skills in twilight sessions after three pm? This course promotes the creative use of digital applications. It will equip you with the skills to live, learn and earn in the 21st century. It uses real life scenarios to inspire and challenge.
For further information contact Mrs J Morrell, Subject Leader.
This course consists of 3 units; each equivalent to a GCSE.
- Unit 1 must be completed first; this is done in year 9. In year 10 and 11 the choice of the other 2 units depends on the group and the teacher. The choice is made from 4 units.
- Unit 2: Multimedia- This unit provides the knowledge and skills to design and produce effective multimedia products. You will learn to collect, create and prepare different types of digital assets - audio, video, animation, still images, movies and text - for use in multimedia products.
- Unit 3: Graphics-T his unit provides the knowledge and skills needed to design and produce effective graphic products that communicate successfully on screen and in print. You will learn how to use vector and bitmap tools to develop graphic elements.
- Unit 4 : ICT in Enterprise- This unit gives you the opportunity to tackle a practical enterprise activity working in a team. As a group you will design and create a corporate identity for your enterprise, produce a set of business documents, produce a set of promotional materials, including a website and present a comprehensive and convincing enterprise proposal.
- Unit 5: Games Authoring- This unit provides you with the knowledge and skills needed to design and produce interactive computer games. You will learn about different types of games, game features and game play and from this produce a game proposal and production plan. You will learn to design and develop games for others to play . All the units take you from being a passive learner, taking in facts, to an active producer of quality digital content. Planning, tracking, monitoring and review are important elements of all the units and therefore you will develop your organisation skills and be encouraged to reflect critically on your own and others' use of ICT. All units are assessed by 100% coursework. E-portfolios (electronic-portfolios) of your evidence are created to showcase your achievements. Although print outs may be used to receive feedback from your teachers your evidence is sent to the examiner on CD and so is viewed and marked on screen.
This course is only available for students who have successfully completed unit 1 in year 9. You must be able to work independently, be able to make choices and explain your actions and decisions. As lessons are run outside the normal school day you must be prepared to stay in school for at least an extra hour for two nights a week.
This course consists of 100% coursework and therefore is demanding throughout the year; deadlines must be kept and to do this you need to be organised and manage your time well.
Further Education -This course provides a sound basis for progression to a full range of A level courses but especially in the ICT sector.
Employment -This course prepares you for a career in digital applications; e.g. web designer, games designer, animator.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Grange Technology College directly.