Public Services BTEC Level 3 90 Credit Diploma at Macclesfield College
This course provides an excellent and varied programme giving access to a wide variety of careers within the Public Services. You will develop skills, knowledge and understanding in Public Services and apply your learning in a practical and realistic way and will suit you if you have a keen interest in physical activity.
During this course you will study a total of eight units. Three core units will provide a general foundation and five specialist units will introduce you to particular topics in more depth.
- Government, policies and the Public Services
- Leadership and teamwork in the Public Services
- Citizenship, diversity and the Public Services
Specialist Units will include:
- Skills for land based outdoor and adventurous activities
- Understanding discipline in Uniformed Public Services
- Crime and its effects
- Responding to emergency service incidents
Alongside your main programme of study you will also study either GCSE or Functional Skills in English and Maths if you have not achieved a GCSE grade C or above. If you have achieved a grade C or above in GCSE English and Maths, you will engage in extending these skills through a Directed Study Programme.
For this course you will need to have achieved one of the following:
- A minimum of 4 GCSEs Grade A*-C, ideally to include English Language
- A Level 2 qualification (e.g. BTEC Level 2 Diploma) at Merit grade or above with Functional Skills English at Level 2 or above
A reasonable degree of fitness would be advantageous.
You will need to have undertaken at least one week of work experience in a related discipline setting. Evidence of this experience must be provided at enrolment in the form of a reference from the setting you attended.
Following your application to study this course you will be invited to attend an admissions interview with a member of the teaching team to discuss the course and its requirements further.
You will be assessed through project and assignment work. There are no external examinations. Each unit is graded Pass, Merit or
Distinction and then an overall grade of Pass, Merit, Distinction or Distinction* is awarded on completion.
GCSE and Functional Skills qualifications are assessed through external examination.
There is a requirement for all public service students to purchase at least one polo shirt and there is the option to purchase a hoodie. This will be discussed at interview.
You will have the opportunity to take part in educational and industrial visits during your course. A financial contribution of £150.00 per year towards the cost of the visits and activities is to be paid throughout the academic year as trips as arranged. Possible visits may include The Middlewich Custody Suite, The Fire Station, Army Look at life, Army Personal Development Course, Crown Court, Kip on a Ship, The Houses of Parliament, University and UCAS events, but could be subject to change.
On successful achievement of this course you may wish to:
- Apply to study the BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma Public Services which can lead on to the Higher National in Public Services (HNC/HND)
- Apply to study a Public Services related subject such as Uniformed Services, Criminology or Risk and Emergency Management at University
- Pursue career opportunities in the Armed Services, Police, Fire Service, Ambulance Service, Private Security, Prison Service, Coastguard, Customs and Excise or Local Government Administration as this qualification is valued by employers
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Macclesfield College directly.