Uniformed Public Services Level 3 BTEC Extended Diploma at Basingstoke College of Technology
The course covers a wide range of subjects including:
- Government, policies and the public services
- Leadership and teamwork in the public services
- Citizenship, diversity and the public services
- Understanding discipline in the uniformed public services
- Fitness testing and training for the uniformed public services
- Physical preparation, health and lifestyle for the public services
- International institutions and human rights
- Understand the impact of war, conflict and terrorism on public services
- Skills for land based and adventurous activities
- Command and control
- Career planning for the public services
- Instructing physical activity and exercise
- Skills for water based activities and adventurous activities
- Crime and its effects on society
- Responding to emergency incidents
- Communication and technology in the uniformed public services
- Aspects of the legal system and law making process
- Exercise, health and lifestyle
- Land navigation by map and compass
Students may choose to study for a GCSE to increase their qualifications, or to resit a previous GCSE subject to improve a grade.
5 GCSEs grade A*- C including English, Maths and preferably Science, or BTEC Level 2 Diploma in Public Services at Merit level or above.
The course is continuously assessed through assignments, projects and case studies. Students will develop a responsible and co-operative approach to working on their own and in groups. The course uses practical activities, presentations and involvement with personnel from the public services wherever possible.
If you are aged 16-18, tuition and registration fees are free.
If you are aged 19 or over, tuition and registration fees are payable at the start of each year of study; please ask for details.
If you are aged 24 or over, you may be eligible for a Student Loan to assist with your fees; please ask for details.
This course is a recognised route into Higher Education or employment in areas such as the armed forces, police service, fire service, ambulance service, HM Customs and Excise, outdoor activity centres, prison and security services and voluntary organisations.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Basingstoke College of Technology directly.