Design and Technology - Product Design A-Level at The Chalfonts Community College
What is this course about?
The course provides you with the opportunity to study all aspects of Design. Using a variety of media, but mainly resistant materials, textiles and graphics you will need to solve a range of design problems.
The course builds upon the work that students cover in years 10 and 11 and has been designed to provide a framework which allows considerable flexibility of approach. You should have a good understanding of the overall Design Process as well as a good working knowledge of at least two different materials.
The course will provide you with greater theoretical understanding of the many facets of Design and Technology that are part of the modern everyday world that we live in.
What will I do on this course and how will I be assessed?
Lessons are enjoyable. You will be encouraged to develop your own style. In addition to class time you are expected to work another 5 hours in your own time, either at home or in College. The course is well established with continuing success and many impressive product creations.
Areas explored during the course include:
- Design and making of artefacts/products and/or systems
- Material Technology
- Manufacturing methods
- Social, cultural and ethnic dimensions of design
- Major design movements and their impact on the modern world
- Commercial practice and processes
- AS: Written exam paper; materials and components: (2hrs) 50%
- Coursework: Consists of either project work and/or portfolio of coursework, covering industrial and commercial practice. (Approx. 50 hours) 50% of total marks
- Advanced Level Award A2 Exam
- A2 Coursework: A substantial designing and making activity - (Approx. 60 hours) 50% of total marks
- Written Exam paper: This paper is based primarily on Design & Manufacture. It is a synoptic paper - (2hrs) 50% of total marks
What do I need to get on to this course?
You will need to get a Grade B in Technology at GCSE but, more importantly, you must have a keen interest in Design and Technology. You need to be imaginative, inventive and generally enjoy creating things.
What can I expect to gain from this course and where could it lead?
If you are interested in a career in Design this course is essential and it will lead you directly onto a related course at university. It is also beneficial to students pursuing careers in Art and Design and Architecture. A Level Technology is now a well-established and successful course at the College. We look forward to continued excellent results this year.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact The Chalfonts Community College directly.