Geography AS and A Level at Portsmouth College
Geography addresses many of the challenging issues facing 21st Century societies. It is an exciting subject for students who enjoy exploring a wide diversity of topics and places. During the course you will develop many valuable geographical skills, which can then be applied in numerous areas of work and life. Please also see the ‘careers opportunities’ section below.
You will study a broad range of topics, including:
- Natural disasters, such as volcanic eruptions, earthquakes, tropical cyclones and drought
- Climate change – you will critically examine the evidence, causes and consequences
- Threats to biodiversity and what’s being done to deal with these threats
- Trends in the migration of people and the impact on host and source countries
- The world economy with its great contrasts in power and wealth
- Conflicts over water – arguably the world’s most precious resource
- The changing nature of world politics with a focus on current and future superpowers
You will have the opportunity to visit a variety of locations in order to apply geographical ideas to places and to investigate the interaction between people and their environment.
You would normally be expected to have at least five GCSEs at grades A*-C (including English Language), some at grade B or above. Level 2 BTEC or OCR National qualifications (at Merit grade or higher) would be a useful addition but cannot be used instead of the basic GCSE requirement.
You are assessed through two written examinations in each year – there is no coursework.
The course includes fieldwork in fluvial, urban and rural locations. You will have the opportunity to participate in a residential visit to Boscastle in Cornwall, where you will investigate the causes, consequences and management of river flooding. In addition, you can opt to join our Humanities Department overseas visit – in recent years destinations have been New York, Poland, Italy and Iceland.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Portsmouth College directly.