Geography A Level at Alsager School
At AS level (1 year course) you will study:
Paper 1: Dynamic Landscapes – Physical Geography 50% of course
Topic 1: Tectonic Processes and Hazards
Topic 2: Landscape Systems, Processes and Change – including optional topic: 2.2 Coastal Landscapes and Change with fieldwork to the Anglesey Coastline.
Paper 2: Dynamic Places – Human Geography 50% of course
Topic 3: Globalisation
Topic 4: Shaping Places – inc. optional topic Regenerating Places with fieldwork in Manchester.
At Full A level (2 year course) you will study:
Paper 1: Interactions between Dynamic Landscapes and Resources 30% of course
- Topic 1: Tectonic Processes and Hazards
- Topic 2: Landscape Systems, Processes and Change – including optional topic: 2.2 Coastal Landscapes and Change with fieldwork to the Anglesey and North Wales Coastline.
- Topic 5: The Water Cycle and Water Insecurity
- Topic 6: The Carbon Cycle and Energy Security
- Topic 7: Climate Change Futures
Paper 2: Interactions between Dynamic Places and Human Development 30% of course
- Topic 3: Globalisation
- Topic 4: Shaping Places – including Regenerating Places with fieldwork in Manchester Topic 8: Superpowers
- Topic 9: Global Development and Connections
Paper 3: Synoptic Exam 20% of course
- Pre-lease resource booklet on Topics 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9 above.
- Based on knowledge and understanding from the above parts of the course.
Coursework: Independent Investigation 20% of course
- Investigation, relating to the compulsory or optional content. The topic may relate to any aspect of geography contained within the specification. The investigation is internally assessed and externally moderated, within 3000–4000 words.
You will need to have gained a Grade C or above in GCSE Geography.
Employment — developing excellent analytical and communication skills geographers can go into a wide range of jobs, including: Advertising, Education, Environmental management, Finance, Law, Marketing, Retailing, Sales, Social/health services, Geographical Information Systems or any career with an environmental concern or interest.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Alsager School directly.