Creative Media Production (Film and TV) BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma at South Downs College
Students should be interested in a career in Media, Film or the wider media industry.
You will study 18 units over two years in a number of practical and theoretical areas that will prepare you for various roles in the media and communications industries.
The structure of the course and the method of delivery is devised as a result of consultation between College staff and media professionals. It is delivered through constantly updated and industry related assignments. It is broadly equivalent to three GCE A Levels.
- Single Camera Production Techniques: In which you will devise, plan, prepare, produce and present a short fictional video using actors and broadcast quality equipment including lighting and Dolly & Tracks.
- Factual Programme Techniques: In which you will be required to research and create a documentary incorporating members of the public.
- Stop Motion Animation: Fancy becoming the next Nick Park? Gain all the basic stop motion skills, including armature making and Claymation modelling.
You should have achieved five GCSEs at grade C or above including a C grade in English or successful completion of a BTEC First Diploma at Distinction grade. At interview, you should bring with you a portfolio of creative work in evidence of your desire to complete a media based course. This portfolio could include, but is not limited to:
- Any scripts or storyboards written by yourself either for pleasure or previous academic/vocational use.
- A show reel in the form of a DVD or blog address showing any short films or other moving image work completed by yourself.
- Any photographic work that may be relevant to the BTEC Film course.
Please note: If you are asked to attend an interview, you must be willing to produce your portfolio for the interviewer’s examination. Failure to do so may affect your chances of being granted a place.
All students follow a media related core programme plus a number of optional units. Students will also be assessed in Functional Skills which will help to communicate effectively, work well with others, manage self-development, work with ICT in a range of applications and develop problem solving techniques.
Relevant assignments setting up appropriate deadlines are designed to cover each of the course units, will be issued regularly throughout the course and will be completed individually or in a group project.
Students should purchase a high capacity memory stick (16GB+) before commencing the course. All other essential equipment will be provided
Some learners may wish to gain the qualification in order to enter a specialist area of employment or to progress to a Level 4 or 5 programme.
BTEC National Diplomas in Creative Media Production will provide access to a greater range of specialist units and therefore broaden and extend your experience and study in preparation for the world of work.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact South Downs College directly.