Professional Cookery City & Guilds NVQ Level 2 at Doncaster College
Following on from the NVQ Level 1, the course focuses on developing professional cookery skills further. You will be working with various ingredients from Meat, Fish and Poultry to Patisserie and Bakery skills.
You will be required to complete regular practical assessments where the aim is to produce food to the standards set buy the lecturer for the Waterfront restaurant, This will enable you to build evidence for your portfolio. You will also be required to answer multiple choice and supplementary questions based on the preparation and cookery of food.
As part of the course you will also complete an NVQ level 2 in food and beverage service, serving customers a variety of food and beverage's in the restaurant. All good Chefs must understand and appreciate how each area works.
- Maintaining Food Safety
- Effective teamwork
- Maintain and handle knifes
- Maintain a safe and hygienic working environment
- Preparation and cookery of Basic Fish dishes
- Preparation and cookery of Basic Meat dishes
- Preparation and cookery of Basic Poultry dishes
- Preparation and cookery of Basic soups
- Produce Basic Hot and Cold Desserts
- Produce Basic Dough Products
- Produce basic Pastry Product
Units covered in food and beverage service include:
- maintaining a safe & hygienic working environment
- customer care
- maintaining food safety
- preparing areas for table service
- providing a table or tray service.
This qualification is Mandatory if you are below 19 and optional if over.
- City and Guilds Level 1 Diploma in Introduction to Professional Cookery (VRQ 1)
- NVQ Level 1 in Food Preparation
- Relevant Industrial Experience
- All applicants must complete an initial assessment in Maths and English and attend an interview
Assessment for this qualification is achieved by practical assessments and written Short Answer Questions and Supplementary evidence.
Following successful completion learners may progress onto the Professional Cookery Level 3 Advanced Diploma or the Professional Cookery Level 3 NVQ.
Take up a junior commis chef / trainee position within a Hotel/ Café/ Restaurant.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Doncaster College directly.